A proposal to include Sport Climbing at the Olympic Games Paris 2024 was unanimously approved at the 134th IOC Session on 25 June 2019. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Board officially confirmed Sport Climbing’s inclusion in the programme of the 2024 Olympic Games on 7 December 2020.
With a Speed event and combined Lead & Boulder event in Paris, the total number of medal events for Sport Climbing will double from two at the Tokyo Games, to four in Paris. The 2024 Games will also see a significant increase in the number of Sport Climbing athletes participating in comparison to the Tokyo Games, from 40 athletes in Tokyo, to 68 in Paris.
The Games of the XXXIII Olympiad are scheduled to take place in the French capital from July 26 to August 11, 2024.
The 2020 Summer Olympics will be held in Tokyo from the 23rd July until the 8th of August 2021. Sport Climbing will be held at the Aomi Urban Sport Venue where 20 male and 20 female athletes will compete for a medal.
The International Olympic Committee approves the selection process in collaboration with the International Federation of Sport Climbing. The three key pathways for our athletes are:
- World Championships 2019 (top 7 in the combined)
- World Cup Season and Selection Event (top 6 at the selection event)
- Oceania championships 2020 (winner in the combined)
Other Tokyo 2020 facts…
- Tokyo 2020 will be the most gender-balanced Games in Olympic history, with women making up almost 49% of total athletes. Mixed gender events will take place in: archery, athletics, badminton, equestrian, judo, sailing, shooting, swimming, table tennis, tennis and triathlon.
- In a win for the environment, Olympic medals will be made from recycled phone and computer parts.
- Tokyo last hosted the Olympic Games in 1964. They are only the fifth city to host an Olympic Games more than once and the only Asian city to do so.
- Organisers will showcase Japan’s resilience and recovery from the devastating Fukushima earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster by starting the 2020 Olympic Torch relay in the historical town.
- At Tokyo 2020 you can expect to see some cutting-edge technology with robots, instant language translation and self-driving vehicles on show. Tokyo pitched a Super Hi-Vision broadcast known as 8K Ultra HD so those watching at home can expect to feel like they are live at the Olympic Games.
Olympic Inclusion and Format
On August 2nd – 4th, the IOC convened in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) officially accepted the inclusion of Sport Climbing in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. The IOC convened in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for the 129th IOC Session.
The format of the event will include the three disciplines of lead, speed and boulder. The combined ranking across the three disciplines will be calculated by multiplying the ranking in each discipline to produce a combined ranking. A total of 20 male and 20 female athletes will compete at the Olympic Games, with six athletes through to the final. We are very excited to see who the first Olympic Champions are.
More details of the format can be found on the IFSC website here.
Youth Olympic Games 2018 – Buenos Airies
The third edition of the Summer Youth Olympic Games was held in Buenos Aires, Argentina from the 6-18th October. Selection to this event was via the World Youth Championships as well as the Continental Championships for Athletes who were in Youth A in 2017.